- Museo Canario is located in the historic district of Vegueta. Founded in 1879, it is an international
partner of the Council for Scientific Research (CSIC). It has a valuable collection of Canary
archaeological objects, which are exhibited in 16 halls. It is also equipped with a library of over 60,000
volumes, many of them dealing with the Canary Islands topics. Its archive covers period from 1785
- Casa de Colón (Columbus House) The Casa Museo de Colón is in the Plaza de San Antonio Abad,
behind the Cathedral of Santa Ana. It focuses on the history of the Canary Islands and its relations with
America. It has 13 permanent exhibition halls, a library and dedicated study center, and diverse spaces
for temporary activities. The complex consists of several houses, one of which was accessed by
Christopher Columbus during his first trip to America in 1492; it was the residence of former Governor
(now better known as home of Columbus). It is organized into five subject areas: America before the
Discovery, Columbus and his journeys, Canary enclave strategic base for experimenting with the New
World, The history and genesis of the city of Las Palmas, and painting of the 16th century to start of the
- The Casa Museo Pérez Galdós is located in the Triana neighborhood of the city. It is the birthplace of
Benito Pérez Galdós. It has an extensive collection of documents, books, furniture and personal
belongings of the writer.
- The Museo Néstor is in the neighborhood of Garden City. Dedicated to the modernist painter Néstor
Martín Fernández de la Torre, the museum was opened in 1956 in the architectural ensemble of the
Pueblo Canario, which was conceived and built by his brother Miguel. It has 10 exhibition halls, as well
as a documentation center and pedagogy.
- The Elder Museum of Science and Technology is an innovative, interactive, engaged in scientific and
technological culture. Elder located in the building, which dates from the end of 19th century has 4,500
m2 (48,438 sq ft) of exhibition halls, workshops, interactive modules, large-format film and
- The Maritime Museum, located in the former Jet Foil station has around 1,000 m2 (10,764 sq ft) of
floor space. When the expansion is finished, will have a giant pool to simulate interactive bay, where a
large ship can be handled by visitors.
- The Atlantic Center of Modern Art (CAAM), opened in 1989, is one of the most important references
for the cultural and artistic life of the Canary Islands, and is responsible for disseminating the art made
in the islands to the rest of the world, especially Africa, America and Europe. It has permanent and
temporary exhibitions that range from the historical avant-garde to the latest trends. It is located on
Calle Los Balcones de Vegueta, and preserves the original façade of the 18th century.
- The Teatro Pérez Galdós was designed by the architect Francisco Jareño y Alarcón in 1867. Its current
appearance, with some modifications, is due to the intervention of Fernando Navarro and Miguel Martín
Fernández de la Torre after the fire that destroyed it almost entirely in 1928. Miguel Martín's brother, the
painter Néstor de la Torre, was commissioned to decorate the stalls, lounges and the stage. It was
originally called Teatro Tirso de Molina until 1901, when, with occasion of the premiere of Electra, the
theatre was renamed after the canarian writer Benito Pérez Galdós. Following works of renovation, the
theatre reopened in April 2007.
- The Cuyás Theater, on the stage of the former Cine Cuyás is a work of rationalist Canarian architect
Miguel Martín Fernández de la Torre. Its main hall has a capacity for 940 people, divided between the
stalls and two amphitheatres. It also has a large patio that allows the organization of outdoor events. It
is currently constructing an alternative test room with capacity for one hundred seats.
- The Sala Insular de Teatro is a scenic area which lies in the main hall of an old church. In 2007, after
some refurbishment, the Board reopened its doors to the public, welcoming small local assemblies.
- The Guiniguada Theater after a decade of long refurbishment, was reopened in 2011.